I’ve created this page to collect relevant links to commentary and emerging studies on family caregiving and COVID-19; this list is not comprehensive, but a start. Writings focus mainly on family care for older adults, my own area of research. The content belongs solely to the authors as noted below.
Family Caregiving COVID-19 Studies
- Under the social services’ radar: community support to older people during the UK lockdown by Maria Evandrou, Jane Falkingham, Min Qin and Athina Vlachantoni
- Caregiving and COVID-19 Report by University of Pittsburg
- Caregivers’ Mental Health and Somatic Symptoms During Covid-19 by Sung S. Park
- Caregivers in Crisis: Caregiving in the time of Covid-19 by the Rosalynn Carter Institute
- Left in the Care of One: Spousal Caregiving in the Age of Covid-19 by Laura Mauldin
- The Forgotten Households: Households of young children with disabilities are not getting the support they need during the COVID-19 pandemic by the RAPID-EC project team
- Multiple research projects listed on the Carer Research and Knowledge Exchange Network (CAREN)
- Family Communication in Long-Term Care During a Pandemic: Lessons for Enhancing Emotional Experiences by Joan K. Monin et al.
- Informal Caregivers in the COVID-19 crisis: Findings from a Nationwide Survey in Germany by Simon Eggert et al.
Commentaries and Policy Solutions
- Intergenerational Relationships, Family Caregiving Policy, and COVID-19 in the United States by Jeffrey E. Stokes and Sarah E. Patterson
- Supporting Family Caregivers in the Time of COVID-19: State Strategies by Courtney Roman and Rani Snyder (corresponding Center for Health Care Strategies recorded webinar and issue brief and infographic)
- Understanding the effects of Covid-19 through a life course lens
- COVID-19 lockdown reveals the extreme vulnerability of older adults in India by Subharati (Shubha) Ghosh
- Restrictions on care home visits traumatize families, caregivers by Ioanna Roumeliotis and Melissa Mancini (CBC news)
- The Shape of Care Podcast (with multiple special episodes on caregiving during corona) by Mindy Fried
- Transformational Responses to Covid-19: A Project of the Global Carework Network
- Family-Child Care Providers: Unsung Heroes in the Covid-19 Crisis
- Gender and Covid-19 , where you can find links to even more resources like A Care-Led Recovery from Coronavirus and Caring Under Covid-19.
- Male Caregivers’ Lived Experience of Filial Caregiving
New Books on Care (Not COVID specific)
- Home Care Fault Lines: Understanding Tensions and Creating Alliances by Cynthia J. Cranford
- Taking Care of Our Own: When Family Caregivers do Medical Work by Sherry N. Mong
- The Caregivers: A Support Group’s Stories of Slow Loss, Courage, and Love by Nell Lake
- The Hidden Among the Hidden: African-American Elder Male Caregivers by Helen K. Black, John T. Groce, and Charles E. Harmon
- Homeward Bound: Modern Families, Elder Care, and Loss by Amy Ziettlow & Naomi Cahn (hear more on the New Book in Sociology podcast)
Thank you to the Carework Network listserv and folks on Twitter for sharing some of their work and some of the resources listed above.
(Last update: November 21, 2020)